"Mark H. Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:09:37 EDT, IBM Mainframe Discussion List
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >A lighten-up topic for Friday which was, like, inspired by
conversations with,
> >like, my 8- and 11-year-old grandsons who are currently, like,
visiting with us.

> >What if the dry, sometimes boring Principles of Operation had been
written
> >in the pop American style of spoken English?  We might see something
like the
> >following:
> >
> >"LOAD, you know, ADDRESS?? [1]
> >Like, the address specified by the, you know, X2, B2, and, you  know,
D2
> >fields is, like, actually placed in general register  R1??  The
address
> >computation, like, totally follows the rules for  address
arithmetic??  In the
> >24-bit addressing mode, the address is, you  know, like totally
placed in bit
> >positions, like, 40-63, bits 32-39 are  actually set to, like, zeros,
and bits
> >0-31 essentially remain  unchanged??  Check it out, Dude!  [3]"
> >
> >Thankfully, technical writers do not write the way people speak.
> >
> >Bill Fairchild
> >Plainfield, IL
> >
> >[1] The double question mark indicates that the declarative
statement,
> >if spoken, should end with a rising tone of voice indicating extreme
> >tentativeness
> >[2] on the part of the  speaker.
> >[2] The speaker must never give any indication that a dogmatic value
> >judgment has just been stated, such as a belief that the statement
might
> >be true.
> >[3] An emphatic, non-tentative tonal quality is permitted if the
statement
> >ends with "Dude!".
> >

> Fer shure.....like.....dude?!
> Oh the doo-dah day.....
>
> Speaking of POPs (gray old guys like us), but Principles of Operations
for this
> discussion.....I remember a number of years ago when the two guys who
write
> the code of IOF found an error in their Assembler instructions after
we reported
> a problem.  Upon futher research, they concluded that it was due to a
> misreading of the "Principles of Operations" manual.  So they sent us
a sign...
> ...a black & white pic of a Mickey Mouse head/face with a scowl,
grimace
> and frown on his face.....and below it, the caption read:
>
> "Thou Shall NOT Disobey the Principles of Operations."
>
> I keep it hanging in my office to this day.
>

> ....mhyI

I still remember from decades ago, when we still received the UCC7
source on microfiche, that the comment was full of nice and spicy
American slang and pop-talk: "yeah, go back to ye olde home" (from a
subroutine) and many similar phrases.

Kees.
http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee
only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part
of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or
distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or
attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have
received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart
Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall
not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this
e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in
receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal
Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with
registered number 33014286