Just because you install an elevator does not mean you will remove the
stairs.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Howard Brazee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Principles of Operation in pop American English?

On 4 Jun 2007 09:42:26 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

[1] With all this talk of dinosaurs being associated with the "mainframe",
I'm reminded of the other Richard Leakey book I have: "The Sixth
Extinction". Will the "mainframe" be included in the rapid disappearance of
species?

I'm trying to think of some technology that has disappeared
altogether.   It's hard to imagine some hobbyist 200 years ago using a
mainframe the way that hobbyists do with, say bookbinding.

I think though that some of the old SF writers weren't entirely wrong.
While sail ships are now predominately toys, there still are their
successors, carrying cargo across the seas.   They are bigger, more
powerful, and very different - but they are ships.

It's easy to foresee a time when the world is full of pervasive micro
and nano computers - but hard to foresee them being exclusive.   There
will be uses for possibly isolated big iron computing.

Maybe Railroads are a better analogy.   The trains are vastly
outnumbered by cars and trucks - but they still move lots of cargo.
And their technology is being touted at a smaller scale for mass
transportation as well.

Things will change, but it won't be a simple replacement of the old by
the new of the day.