Hi all,
If I using the following JCL to create a SMS dataset (explicitly but not ACS
control) , the dataset allocated to non-sms volume.

IEBDG    EXEC PGM=IEBDG
SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
OUT      DD DSN=SSMD.TESTXX,DISP=(,CATLG),
    UNIT=(SYSDA,2),STORCLAS=SC4G,DATACLAS=DC4G,
    SPACE=(CYL,(2,10),RLSE),
    DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=900,BLKSIZE=0)

After I hard code the VOL=SER=XXXXXX, it will allocate to SMS managed volume

IEBDG    EXEC PGM=IEBDG
SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
OUT      DD DSN=SSMD.TESTXX,DISP=(,CATLG),
    UNIT=(SYSDA,2),STORCLAS=SC4G,DATACLAS=DC4G,
    SPACE=(CYL,(2,10),RLSE),VOL=SER=XXXXXX,
    DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=900,BLKSIZE=0)

There're no problem if I use ACS to control, it will allocate to sms-managed
volume even no VOL=SER=XXXXX ....

Any shop using explicitly coding instead of ACS to control?
thanks

any comment will be appreciated

Tommy