On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 08:35 -0400, Bill wrote:

> According to Wikipedia's "On this day...", Herman Hollerith received a
> patent for his punch card calculator on this day (8 June) in 1887.  Go,
> Herman!!

Hmmmm - my first experience with Hermans baby was cards that had to be
punched by hand - using a straightened paperclip in our case.
Using a biro to do the job made the hole rounder and *really* confused
the reader.

> I still have a handful of blank cards that I liberated from a service  bureau
> ca. 1985.  I use them sometimes to write notes to myself (without  punching
> them, though).  They fix perfectly in my shirt pocket.

Amdahl provided them with the company logo and "subject" and "date"
fields - pre-ruled for easy note writing.

Shane ...