Tony Harminc wrote:

Even into the late 1980s it was possible for the proverbial "two guys in a
garage" to design and build mainframe software using this model, and sell it
to Fortune 500 companies.

Tony H.
BMC Software, Inc. is a large ISV today, but did not have its own mainframe until August of 1982. I know because I installed it for them.

You are absolutely correct Tony, this is just one example. Before that, computer time and access were bartered for use of the software at no cost prior to installing a CPU.

By the way, the first machine was a 4341 Model Group 2 with 2MB of memory. It supported an average of 75 logged on TSO users, 6 CICS subsystems (pre-MRO, etc.), and 5 IMS Control Regions. Of course the production work in all of those subsystems was the development of software. It was not like a corporate production system since all of the data was contained on 8 3350 volumes.

By the way, there were not 75 developers at BMC in this time frame, but every developer had multiple TSO ID's that were almost all logged on all the time since this was before session managers.

Tom Moulder