Chris Mason wrote:
Steve

What a mess!

I suspect you saw APPC and assumed APPN - a false assumption I very strongly suspect.

Yes. I saw APPC and thought there might also be an APPN piece to this.

I found a "IBM WebSphere Developer for zSeries Prerequisites", SC31-6352-05, document and the nearest it got to suggesting VTAM was required was the "IP Services component of IBM Communications Server" which rather clearly indicates that VTAM, the *SNA* Services component of IBM Communications Server, is *not* required. It did, however, rather oddly, mention APPC - and also ISPF. This, by the way, is what prompted the "what a mess" or perhaps "dog's dinner".

I also found ""IBM WebSphere Developer for System z Version 7.0, APPC and WebSphere Developer for System z", SC23-5885-00. I'm guessing this document has been put together as a way of explaining how to set up APPC, note specifically APPC/MVS, because it is wanted for one of the "under-the-covers" functions purely *within* z/OS.

I believe the "under-the-covers" function is "WEBSPHERE DEVELOPER - TSO COMMANDS SERVICE - THIS FORMAT DISPLAYS RESULTS OF ISPEXEC AND NATIVE TSO COMMANDS" as I found in the comments of one of the "server" jobs.

Moreover, the reason for ISPF is in order to support setting up the APPC/MVS environment - and maybe the environment of some other z/OS products. It's all a while ago for me now but I believe I managed to set up my APPC/MVS environment purely with batch jobs so I *think* ISPF is really optional for APPC/MVS.

So, it looks like the communication between z/OS and the Windows PC is purely IP. I got a hint that maybe TN3270 was also used from that presentation. You'd better work through the manuals to be sure.

That makes sense with what I observe.

If you need some help with the APPC/MVS side, I did keep some examples of my playing with APPC/MVS long ago and the SC23-5885-00 manual reminded me rather precisely of those samples I kept. So do let me know if necessary.

No. I'm working with it OK. I just thought it was interesting
how they do this and was a little curious what it meant was
going on under the covers.

Chris Mason

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques