>Binyamin Dissen wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:54:09 +0000 Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> :>>ever have "users" cruise your parmlib and then tell you how to tune
the system? Solution: >UACC(NONE).

>> :>I have yet to see a single member of PARMLIB that is any business of
anybody outside SYSPROGs.

>> How much of PARMLIB cannot be detected by examining storage in a live
system -
>> not using APF or anything special?
>>
>> Security by obscurity is useless.>>

>100% agreed. However in this case UACC(N) not for security, it is for
>shutting up folks commenting PARMLIB settings. Just to stop discussions
>and complaints. IMHO, if I have nothing to be ashamed, I don't have to
>hide it.
> From the other hand it is not bad to hide PARMLIB, *but not for the
>purpose above*.

Funny how it's ok for SYSPROGs to cruise Applications and "tell" us what
needs to be changed or how to tune our application (when we didn't ask
for their opinion), but it's not ok for us to cruise your PARMLIB
settings ????  Never heard of a PARMLIB setting getting screwed-up by
looking at it.  Unbelieveable !!!

Another pet-peave, why do companies buy tools, then SYSPROG decides that
"only they" get to use it.  Example:  My customer has purchased
CICS/Abend-Aid, but has only configured it for CICS dumps.
None of the applicatioin dumps can access it.  I asked them "why can't
we both use it ??", answer...because none of the applications asked for it.

More and more SYSPROGs like to "hide" their stuff, even from viewing.
Now the ability to insure that CICS definitions are setup properly is being
"hidden" from view.  This makes some problems VERY difficult to solve or
eliminate possible causes when all you want to do is "view" the definition.

If your system security is setup properly, I can see no harm in browsing
anything on the system.  After all, isn't that how you learn ??

Tom Savor
Fidelity National Information Services
11720 Amber Park Drive
Suite 500
Alpharetta, GA  30004

Phone: 678-867-8431
cell:  404-660-6898
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message contains information from Certegy, Inc which may be confidential
and privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information and note that such
actions are prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify by e:mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]