On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:14:00 -0500, Robert Justice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Funny how it's ok for SYSPROGs to cruise Applications and "tell" us what
>needs to be changed or how to tune our application (when we didn't ask
>for their opinion), but it's not ok for us to cruise your PARMLIB
>settings ????  Never heard of a PARMLIB setting getting screwed-up by
>looking at it.  Unbelieveable !!!".
>

>Hmmm, funny how it's okay for application programmers to avoid coding their
>application to work correctly with daylight savings time, or god forbid
actually
>SYSPLEX ENABLING their applications. UNBELIEVABLE.

Why can't we all just get along? :-)

To respond to the first statement.... in many shops that is not true at all.

Here (and also in other large environments I have worked at) the performance
team is actively involved in helping applications tune, but it is at their
request
because the "techies" have more experience with tuning and some of the
tools.  That is their primary job.   The application programmers' primary job
is to write code (under a deadline usually) and performance / efficient
code is not always given the attention it needs for production.

And that other pet peeve about not letting applications use the tools... well,
in my experience the application people are the main users of products like
Strobe, Expedite, etc.  Those are their tools (even though "we" install them).
Many of them I don't really have a clue how to use beyond the very basics
if at all.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group:  G-ITO