Tom Kelman asks:
>Boy, those going from OS/390 V2R10 to z/OS V1R8 are making a pretty big
>leap.  We went from z/OS 1.4 to 1.7 and we're told we couldn't go
>directly to 1.8.  How are you able to skip so many releases?

A pattern that's very common in Japan, for example, is a "new footprint"
build.  That is, some shops will buy a new mainframe, load it up with
current OS and software, copy the applications over and create test data,
test thoroughly (and test again), then cutover when ready, sometimes in
stages (if they have application "silos" that are separable).  It's not my
favorite way to get the job done, and many organizations are discovering
that rolling online upgrades really do offer numerous benefits, notably
continuous business service delivery, but the classic method still works.

Also, I don't think I'm revealing any secrets in saying that it's not just
third parties that'll assist with giant OS version leaps.  There's an IBM
service offering in Japan (for a fee) to leap from OS/390 V2R10 straight to
z/OS 1.6 in one shot.  There are some odd government rules that pretty much
force banks to do this sort of thing.

All that said, it's way easier to migrate from OS/390 V2R10 to z/OS 1.8
than it is to migrate to another operating system.  Way, way, way easier.
And, once you do get current, please don't let this happen again.  Stick to
the N-minus migration steps.  You'll be way, way, way happier.  So will
your wallet.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]