If you're in the market for a new or upgraded CPU, for whatever reason, why would you not want to get the latest - in this case a z9. Why would you go with the z890? I don't know whether the CPU costs more or less, but the MSU rating of the z9 and subsequent lower software costs make the z9 a better deal. The only thing I could see working to get a z890 is if on the used market the price is so much cheaper that even with the lower software cost of the z9, the total package would be cheaper.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Timothy Sipples" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Like Edward, I'm puzzled by some of the reaction to this
withdrawal-in-the-future announcement.

Some people beat up IBM for *not* withdrawing older models soon enough,
because they begin to think IBM isn't busy designing the next model!  This
announcement is simply 6+/12+ months' advance notice, for your planning and
procurement purposes, that new z890 machines won't be orderable from the
factory.  There are new z890s (for now), z890s (and even z800s) on the
secondary market, and new z9 BCs.Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]