On Jul 3, 2007, at 1:31 AM, Timothy Sipples wrote:

Like Edward, I'm puzzled by some of the reaction to this
withdrawal-in-the-future announcement.

Some people beat up IBM for *not* withdrawing older models soon enough, because they begin to think IBM isn't busy designing the next model! This announcement is simply 6+/12+ months' advance notice, for your planning and procurement purposes, that new z890 machines won't be orderable from the
factory.  There are new z890s (for now), z890s (and even z800s) on the
secondary market, and new z9 BCs.

It's a familiar pattern now stretching into its 43rd year and counting.
New model is announced which is faster, more flexible, lower cost, and
downright better.  Less and less demand for new examples of the older
model. Over a year (!) later, IBM gives lots of advance warning that the older model will no longer be available new from the factory. Maintenance services, software support, and secondary market availability for the older
model continue for a long, long, long time.  Loop, repeat.

I don't get it. Does someone here have the factory cargo shipping contract
but only for the z890? :-)

Thank goodness for redoubled innovation, I say.
Timothy,

Probably INTEL.

Ed