On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 08:56:28 -0700, Norman Hollander on h-WiZ.biz wrote:

>  ...  If you are like most other sites, with
>    different transactions with different SLAs, and the potential for the work
>    grow, I'd still recommend Transaction Goals.  Since you can set it up by
region(s),
>    it is not difficult to determine what is needed, and define it.  I would
suggest a
>    Default Service Class with the majority of the transactions defaulting
> into
it, a
>    Service Class with "loved" transactions (a select handful), and a Service
Class for
>    "not loved" transactions (those driving slow devices or those that really
look like batch).
>    You can have Production vs. Development vs. Ad-hoc specifications. You
can have High, Medium,
>    Low specifications as appropriate.

Be careful with CICS response time goals.  WLM adjusts the CICS and DB2
regions as needed to meet the transaction goals, but does not manage the
transactions directly.  As a result, you may find that your "not loved"
transactions will go along for the ride, based upon the other transactions that
are processed by the server regions.

As for the service classes assigned to the server address spaces themselves,
these are used primarily during initialization.  Once they have registered as a
server, they will be managed based upon the transactions going through them

I agree completely with the other responses that have been posted.  Keep it
as simple as possible.  I also prefer response time goals whenever possible,
including for batch.  For that case, remember that all jobs in a service class
are treated the same, but by using relatively low percentile goals the long
running batch will not mess you up too much. For example, you might have a
goal that 50% of your production jobs finish in 30 minutes.  The occasional six
hour job will not skew your results at all, unless it is running by itself.  Of
course, YMMV.

Discretionary is good too.  I even used discretionary for the third period TSO
that Mark referred to.

Monitor your results, and don't be afraid to change your policy, but give WLM
as much latitude as possible to do it's work.

--
Tom Marchant