On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:22 -0500, Patrick O'Keefe wrote:
> I found an old draft copy of an early PLI/F Reference
> manual and taught myself PL/I.  I was never really
> proficient, and never tried esoterica like its
> subtask (synchronous processing) support

Event variables were annoying in those days.  I remember that you
couldn't test an event variable - essentially an ECB - for COMPLETION()
if it was associated with a DISPLAY...REPLY statement.  The event
wouldn't post complete until you waited on it.  It wasn't possible to
issue a message to the operator and check back every so often to see if
you'd gotten a reply.

You could resort to multitasking, but then you couldn't be an IMS
application.  Multitasking caused the PL/I main prologue to initiate a
root task which would in turn ATTACH your own main task.  Due to the
design of IMS, the TCB that was given control in a dependent region had
to be the same TCB that issued PLITDLI calls.  So no IMS for me!

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.