Rick Fochtman wrote:
---------------------<snip>--------------------------

when I was a freshman at (The) Ohio State University waaaay back in 1975, I
took a PL/I class - we were told then that this was *such* an all
encompassing and easy-to-learn language that COBOL and FORTRAN would be
non-existant as a commercial programming language within 5 years ....

well, they were half right - haven;t seen many Fortran shops recently ...

can you say: IF x-3 100,200,300 (I may have actual syntax wrong)
--------------------<unsnip>----------------------
    IF ( X-3) 100,200,300

I was taught that PL/1 is the "UN-COBOL" in 1971, when I took it and ended up teaching it! Everybody was talking about the I/O of COBOL and the computational power of FORTRAN. I have to admit, I prefer PL/1 over FORTRAN. I never learned COBOL so I don't really miss it. Somehow, DECLARE'ing a FIXED BINARY(31,0) seems easier than trying to remember which form of COMP is the COBOL equivalent. And COBOL doesn't even have all the data types that I use in defining SMF records to PL/1. YMMV, of course.

Remember when APL was going to solve all the world's problems? I know of one APL shop, but I haven't seen a FORTRAN shop in 35+ years.

I believe parts of Boeing and the United Space Alliance still
use a fair amount of FORTRAN. When I taught some LE classes
there both shops had students asking about LE support of
FORTRAN.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques