Believe me, there's the same problem over in the UK.....

I've been a sysprog for the last 16years, the last 11 as a contractor
and now at 37 there doesn't seem to be any work any more...

What work there is, is chased after by the same people. Rates are
holding up, but that's about it.

You try to apply for Storage Admin work, or Ops Analyst work or similar,
but there's always just as many real guys going for the job as well
which means it's a dead end. Also considering the complexity of Storage
Admin these days.

You can literally count on one hand the number of Full time jobs as a
sysprog in the UK and Europe, since the beginning of the year let alone
contracts..... And apparently there's supposed to be a skills shortage.
I don't think so!

Retraining is a very hard thing to do, due to the inherent pay cut due
to the lack of experience.  Personally I think the best option is to get
PRINCE 2 or ITIL and go into problem management. This could end up being
a possible niche market.

Otherwise it's all about waiting 10 years until everyone starts
retiring... Anyone for early retirement???? Please!!!!!!!

Phil.