>I was taught not to memorize the information because it changes. Instead,
learn where to look.

>Wow! I have rarely found people (persons) with that viewpoint.
>I could find an answer faster by looking it up, than trying to recall it.

I have traditionally agreed with this viewpoint as well.  There is simply
too much information to be able to memorize it all accurately.  The ability
to research, find information, draw conclusions, etc is much more important
in the long run than being able to memorize.  Testing situations
automatically make me feel this way since there is usually nothing more
riding on it than proving I've read the material.  Not understand it mind
you, since I feel like there are very few good written tests out there that
answer that question.

That said, however, I do continually try to find ways to improve my memory
and recall abilities since I find it extremely useful for meeting type
settings.  I can hardly run to my desk everytime a question is asked in a
meeting.  And while I can, and quite often do, simply make a note and tell
them I will find the answer, its nice to be able to just answer the
question as it usually feeds into and keeps the conversation going to its
logical conclusion, which is quite often a decision, based on, of course,
the information you were just able to recall.

And then there are those tests....

Jeffrey Deaver, Engineer
Systems Engineering
[EMAIL PROTECTED]