That may be true for some of the smaller shops, but in my experience, the large MVS shops with any history are pretty advanced. And while you don't exactly have to be a rocket scientist to do a 3390 conversion, there are some pretty sharp people working iin govt installatons - especially if you include the contractors, which are probably in the majority in most shops. BTW, what do you consider a pittance? Here's the govt pay scale and most IT people are in the top 3 grades. http://www.opm.gov/oca/07tables/pdf/DCB.pdf And considering the number of our brethern out of work in the US, it's a job at least.

.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Fochtman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: Track size and maximum single volume data set size

Another key reason that many shops are still running 3380 emulation: U.S. Government budgets are quite often penny-wise and pound-foolish. Money won't be spent to upgrade to 3390-type geometry because competent people that can do that sort of work well simply won't work for the pittance that government service offers.