In addition to what else has been posted, be very careful about
unprotecting a page that your application did not explicitly protect.

An application that uses IARVSERV to share pages with COPY_ON_WRITE
will implicitly page-protect the shared pages. When a unit of work
attempts to store into the protected page, the system catches the
PIC 0004 and copies the contents to another real frame. Then the
page table entry is modified to point to the new real frame and
the unit of work is redispatched to try the update again; this
time succeeding. The unit of work never sees the PIC 0004.

If you explicitly unprotect such a shared page, then you will
screw up shared pages scheme.

Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation