Rob Scott wrote:
By the way, I applaud your decision to convert ECSA usage to a CADS - that is a
sensible solution.

Personally, I don't like SCOPE=COMMON data spaces (CADS). Exceeding MAXCAD requires an IPL. (The default is 50.) And, don't forget the maximum number of entries in a PASN-AL is only 510 and each CADS reduces the number of SCOPE=SINGLE and SCOPE=ALL data spaces a program can address through its PASN-AL! If everyone decided to convert their ECSA requirements to CADS overnight, we'd likely be in real trouble right now. Yikes!

I'd rather see SCOPE=ALL data spaces with ALESERV SEARCH/ADD used where needed. And, let's not forget IARVSERV, for sharing 31-bit virtual storage -- including that residing within data spaces -- and, of course, 64-bit shared memory objects which have been around for a while now.

Yes, I realize these options aren't always practical and every product's requirements differ. I'm just saying that CADS would be just about dead last on my list of alternatives to study.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc