Thanks, Dave, but I determined that VLF is not active for this data
set.  There are some LOADs being issued for system modules that are
being resolved out of LPA and the LINKLST, but the STEPLIB directories
are, of course, scanned for them first.  At this point, it appears
that although the PDSE directories are cached over in the SMSPDSE
address space, and *no* I/O is actually done against the data set,
there are some "EXCPs" charged against the first PDSE in the STEPLIB
concatenation for the directory scans.

This is all happening in a large ISV product with dozens of load
modules, so its a little hard to come to any really solid conclusions.
When I get a chance, I'll write a little test program to isolate the
circumstances as I understand them now, and see if it happens there as
well.  For now, the Customer is satisfied that there are not a lot of
redundant or unnecessary LOADs occurring, so the importance of the
issue has diminished.

--Art

At 02:39 PM 7/27/2007, Dave Barry wrote:

>Are you SMS-caching the PDSE?  See APARS II14026 OA15322 for hints.
>
>db

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.