On 31 Jul 2007 22:07:06 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main Timothy
Sipples  wrote:

>> much snipped
>
>While I might agree with your logic -- the chance of a spindle theft is
>relatively remote though nonzero -- it really doesn't matter what you or I
>say here. There are certain minimum security requirements for processing
>Visa, MasterCard, and other credit cards. The PCI auditors dictate whether
>you meet those standards or not, and what you're supposed to do to remedy
>any shortcomings. This is certainly true in the United States and
>increasingly true in other countries. PCI became re-energized in the wake
>of the CardSystems debacle, and subsequent breaches haven't made them any
>less forgiving.

A couple of years ago, disk drives were stolen from an IBM outsourcing
centre here in Canada.  I believe they were from a box attached to a
mainframe.  With the advent of the actual disk drives for a mainframe
being the same size as those for a PC, it becomes a lot easier.  There
was speculation that the drive(s?) was/were taken for use in a PC.