Clark Morris writes:
>A couple of years ago, disk drives were stolen from an IBM outsourcing
>centre here in Canada.  I believe they were from a box attached to a
>mainframe.  With the advent of the actual disk drives for a mainframe
>being the same size as those for a PC, it becomes a lot easier.  There
>was speculation that the drive(s?) was/were taken for use in a PC.

Spindle theft is a possibility, yes. Good point.

Nowadays, theft of a spindle that might contain any unencrypted personally
identifiable information would trigger a number of involuntary actions.
Just as one tiny example, if the company has any business in California
there's a legal obligation to report the theft and to notify consumers who
might be affected, along with taking certain other steps.  Which consumers?
Well, usually all of them, because you probably cannot figure out which
records were ever on that spindle dating back to its first write.  And if
you notify consumers (and the government) in California, the newspapers
also get the news, and now it's a national and possibly international
story. Which means you get to call in your PR crisis management team, hire
a bunch of outside security experts to help you "encrypt everything," pay
at least for credit protection services for all the consumers....  Let's
just say it's not a happy time.  And, just to top it off, your company is
immortalized here:

http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/ChronDataBreaches.htm

I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading in some reasonably
authoritative place that the average security breach costs about US $4.5M
to remediate. (There's a long upward tail in the distribution of those
costs. It's not a Bell curve.) The money numbers are very big (and growing)
on that side of the ledger.

I do think one of the big answers to this problem, as an architectural
pattern, is information re-centralization.  That is, if you scatter PII all
over the planet, it is inherently much more difficult to control access and
prevent improper disclosures.  You learned this lesson in elementary
school, no doubt.  Is it easier for one school child or 20 to keep a
secret?  Gartner, for example, suggests that's exactly what many IT
organizations are doing: shutting down the dozens or hundreds of little
data stores that got out of control (literally) and merging them back onto
large, well managed, better secured information systems.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]