I don't have any real answers, just some comments.  One bank I worked
for had as their disaster recovery a 370/158 computer left in the
basement of the bank after the datacenter moved 4 blocks away.  No I/O
equipment.  My last full time job, we paid for a hot site.  We never
did a disaster recovery test until 2004 (I think).  Had a disaster
struck our datacenter before then, it would have been interesting.
After that, they never did another because the z/OS datacenter was
closing.

I think a lot of the potential disasters are things that are totally
unexpected.  The problem several years ago in downtown Chicago comes to
mind, when many of the buildings were shut down because of a hole
between some unused underground passageways and the Chicago River.

The possibility of a widespread nuclear war presents the possibility of
almost all business and commerce shutting down.  Even if your data was
in the side of a mountain and safe, if all the banks are destroyed, and
all of the refineries are destroyed, you won't get fuel for your
generators and you won't have money to do anything.  Hopefully that
will never happen, but how do you prepare for it?

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434