Flooding is different than a river overflowing its banks. Flooding can occur by
heavy rains in an area where the water can not drain out as quick as it comes
in. The oceans are not going to overflow their banks as sea level is deemed to
be the place where water flows down to, they can rise as the
glaciers melt raising the point considered sea level. Tides and weather
conditions, as well as Tsunamis, will alter the height of waves and cause local
flooding. So if you are truly concerned about being near the Pacific, height is
more important than distance.

I believe the 2.5 times the width of the river is relative to how overflowing
the
banks affects the immediate local area. Common sense (held by the minority)
dictates you do not choose a location 2.5 times away from the river and at a
lower elevation where the water is going to flow. There are many factors to
consider. If you end up using the same power source that is taken out by the
flooding than distance was not your saving factor.

I am near a section of the Boise River that goes through some canyons and
you could be just on the other side of them and safe. If it rises hundreds of
feet to overflow the banks than the world is in big trouble and you would not
be doing to DR. Downstream there are no canyons and it becomes more of a
plain and flooding could go well beyond the 2.5 recommendation.

Do not look for a magic number, analyze your area and risks and the distance
will come to you. IBM once had a manual showing areas of high occurrences of
lightning strikes as part of where to build your data center. Current knowledge
shows the moon will not have flooding problems. Network latency might be a
tad long.