I have seen programs get a non-zero return in the filestatus from open
(maybe 4 indicating prior access abended) and choose to abend themselves
even though the implicit VERIFY was done. In that case, the external pre-
verify is the shortcut to not changing the source to allow a 4 on open. I
prefer to change the source than add extra steps to jobs when they are not
necessary.