On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:40:00 -0400, Sumi, Joseph J. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Let me give more background. My role is management of this activity and
>I do not receive, apply, etc. We need to change our maint philosophy on
>how we handle HIPERS. IE: We build z/OS 1.8 on a test system with a July
>ESO but do not go production to October. I want to find out about HIPERS
>from July-September. They would be evaluated to make sure nothing hot is
>missing. We would then selectively apply HIPERS that are applicable.
>That's my idea right now.....
>
>Are you saying that if my MVS guy received 90-days of enhanced holddata,
>we could look it over and selectively apply what is needed or would all
>90-days worth of this maint go on? What would you (or others) do with my
>example scenario......? Also, going forward from October, how would you
>handle HIPERS that come out.

I would do two things.  I'd run errorsysmods reports as John Tergerson
suggested, always receiving the latest enhanced holddata first.  I'd also apply
RSU service.  See
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/servicetst/

Yes, your MVS guy can selectively apply service, though it's not the way I'd
do it.  My preference would be to get the latest holddata and apply the most
recent quarterly RSU.  Then I'd run errorsysmods reports examine any errors
that it points out.

One of the problems with a blind search for HIPERs is that you are really only
interested in those that affect your system.  You can easily become
overwhelmed by the number of PTFs if you don't limit it to those that affect
your system.

--
Tom Marchant