While I understand that this scenario is not being "suggested" as the definitive
problem, I find the scenario itself highly implausible.  While it is
certainly possible, I have a problem believing it.  There are so many things
wrong here, that I can't even begin to contemplate the implications of
upgrading from a 4-way to a 10-way based on poor data collection and a
problem transaction?

> I use to work for a vendor who had a customer with a transaction running
> on a 4-way and because it ran at 100% all the time, they figured they were
> out of gas. So we sold them a 10 way to have available for the Christmas
> rush and the week after we installed it, we varied one, then 2, then 3
> ...... engines online. Each instantly went to 100%. After loooking into
> the problem, I found that the application acquired a lock and then did a
> huge search, inserted a record in a Linked List, then released the lock.
> Since the whole application consisted of the same transaction, all other
> processors were spinning waiting for the same lock to be released. After
> we fixed it, they didn't even require the 4 way.

Adam