-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ted MacNEIL
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 5:31 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Virtual Storage implementation

<SNIP>
This was a problem when I worked with VM/SP and MVS guests 20 years ago,
and is still a problem with LINUX under z/VM, today.

<SNIP>

Would that have been before IEF (Interpretive Execution Facility)? Once
MVS was dispatched via SIE (Start Interpretive Execution), MVS was
responsible for its own paging, much of its own I/O, and CPU dispatch
issues.

Without SIE, VM had to have shadow tables to "help" MVS do paging (an
attempt to not page paging).

By using IEF for LINUX, it would get x storage, and then have to do its
own storage management.

VSE, as I recall, was told that it had 32MB (or something similar) and
VM then took care of the paging (because VSE didn't page in that case)
-- must understand the memory system used by VSE (similar to VS1).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

Opinions of poster are strictly those of the poster.