Art Celestini wrote:
Indeed, Ed.  I was about to point out that the STCKE *format* defines
8 more bits on the left -- enough to cover things through the year 9999 and beyond. Considering that the software was upgraded to support this "long" clock format, I was disappointed that it wasn't similarly updated to support those new high-order bits in its date/time conversions (and saving me from having to write the code myself). It seems to me that while the hardware may not yet use those bits, there's no reason why the software couldn't support them.

Since the "long" TOD design was delivered with 9672 G5 -- prior to z/Architecture and its new grande and N3 logical instructions but no *so* long before that they were unaware of the upcoming "revolution" -- the developers might have decided to wait until a richer, easier to use instruction set became available for dealing with such humongous numbers -- especially, since there wasn't any apparent immediate need for date processing beyond 2042.

Given similar conditions, I probably would have done the same thing.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc