Robert

This whole discussion should really have been started in the IBMTCP-L list[1] rather than the IBM-MAIN list. As far as the IP component of Communications Server (CS) is concerned, in IBMTCP-L scintillate the brightest stars.

In your original post you asked whether or not it was possible to run both the IP component of CS and the Interlink program together. I suppose it is possible that one or the other could take possession of a common piece of storage that both will reference in order to prevent more than one program to run and behave as an IP node. However since you have both running together, that presumably does not happen.

If the interfaces controlled by one IP node connect to the same intranet as the interfaces controlled by the other IP node - or both connect to the Internet - then you need to control the inbound routing appropriately. Otherwise there cannot be a problem. What the software does in the privacy of its own address space is entirely its business and that of nobody else!

If I've missed something important here I hope to be corrected.

[1] For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

-

In an earlier post which I have not retained in my inbox, you were concerned about different interpretations of the socket API. That flavour of the socket API used with the transport protocols which sit on top of the IP layer is quite well-defined. In any case, what little I know/knew of Interlink was that they set themselves up as a competitive alternative to TCP/IP for MVS - as the IP component of CS used to be named. Thus any APIs *ought* to be identical.

Also from an earlier post, I suppose I should be glad you happened to mention "CINET". You have set up CINET presumably because you imagined that you had multiple instances of the IP component of CS - which, of course, you don't. Please reread what I just said and the following which I found as the first hit searching the CS IP Configuration Guide:

<quote>

Common INET physical file system (CINET PFS)

If you wish to run multiple z/OS Communications Server TCP/IP stacks concurrently, you must use the Common INET (CINET) configuration. In this configuration, up to a maximum of eight TCP/IP stacks can be active at any time.

</quote>

You may be sure that IBM means just the IBM-supplied software for creating the appearance of an IP node and absolutely not software from any other Tom, Dick or Harry!

The point is that z/OS has features which specifically allow for multiple instances of CS IP. These show up in the BPXPRMxx member of SYS1.PARMLIB. In place of a single set of "INET" statements such as

FILESYSTYPE TYPE(INET) ENTRYPOINT(EZBPFINI)
NETWORK DOMAINNAME(AF_INET) DOMAINNUMBER(2) MAXSOCKETS(10000)
       TYPE(INET)

I expect you have something like (taken from a study I did some years back on CINET)

FILESYSTYPE TYPE(CINET) ENTRYPOINT(BPXTCINT)
NETWORK DOMAINNAME(AF_INET)
       DOMAINNUMBER(2)
       INADDRANYPORT(61000)
       INADDRANYCOUNT(4000)
       MAXSOCKETS(64498)
       TYPE(CINET)
SUBFILESYSTYPE NAME(TCPIP)
              TYPE(CINET)
              ENTRYPOINT(EZBPFINI)
              DEFAULT
SUBFILESYSTYPE NAME(TCPIPC)
              TYPE(CINET)
              ENTRYPOINT(EZBPFINI)

Since I can't see the Interlink logic participating in this CINET scheme, I can't see any role for setting up your CINET environment.

-

Now I can get to the points that arise from this post.

Assigning the same IP address to two different interfaces is possible only when the interfaces connect to two completely independent intranets. Is that your situation? I suspect it is not and so what you are proposing is forbidden.

It is possible for two different LPARs to share a port on an OSA feature and a program supporting the behaviour of an IP node running in the LPAR can allocate the channel address representing the OSA port. However the OSA feature logic in the shape of the OSA address table (OAT) presumes, in effect, that the IP nodes connect to the same intranet (or the Internet) and requires different IP addresses - for the simple reason that the routing of an inbound IP packet to a particular LPAR depends on the destination IP address.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with VIPAs - although you can complicate what I have just said by adding VIPAs into the mix!

As for the "host name", again it is the view of your systems from the outside world which matters. You can use the same "host name" only if, when it is represented in a name server, it is qualified with a different suffix.

It is a standard feature of the name server system that a name can map to multiple IP addresses. You need only examine the gethostbyname() socket call which is the call most used to access the name server system I expect. Here the returned structure is a list of IP addresses. A well-written client socket program, having used the gethostbyname() call prior to attempting to initiate a TCP connection, should try each of the IP addresses in the list in turn before giving up on the connection.

Chris Mason

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnston, Robert E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>