"Barbara Nitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Kees,
>
> "About your answer above: why do you check a single PGDS utilization?
> think it hardly hirts when one PGDS is over some limit if the total
> configuration is within limit? ... Besides that, the question is what
> we can do about it, as Barbara already mentioned."
>
> thanks for basically asking the same questions I have asked in the ETR
I had opened. I was given to understand (not as clearly, of course) that
I have no idea what I am talking about. And why do I even question IBMs
"best practises"?

<spontaneous, non suppressable mindflash>
Gee Barbara, this sounds familiar, is HC also being developped in
Boeblingen?
</spontaneous, non suppressable mindflash>

 As this has happened for *every* HC ETR I have ever opened (and also
for quite a few emails that I had exchanged in hopes of improving the
product) I have resolved to not bother anymore. If I cannot make a check
fit, I just delete it. We have a line in every checklist that says 'get
HC to shut up'. And we installed the downloadable version before we
migrated to 1.6, so we've been putting up with HC for a long time.

> The only reason we still start the STC is that *very few* checks
actually do make sense, the RACF_sensitive_resources being among them.
Another is the RSM MAXCADS check, as this is the only way to actually
see how many CADS are in use short of taking a dump. (It may be that
showmvs also reports on this.)

> To me it appears that IBM is promoting the health checker as a way to
prevent customers from using the variety of options that z/OS supports
(just to make life for the support groups easier).

Maybe it was driven by the aging of hardware system programmers and the
coming lack of them. It seems it is going to be solved by making the
systems intelligent, self-checking and self-healing as we have been
promised for 10 or 20 years, but if this HC is the result, they still
have a long way to go.

 To that effect, every component gets beaten to write a 'health check'.
Hence some duplicate checks, some extremely poor documentation, some
checks that I consider plain stupid, and a lot that appear to be written
hastily (we call that "unloved" in German-"lieblos") and not thought
out. If you don't distort your installation to follow those so-called
'best practises', IBM will basically tell you that you're on your own,
and if you don't do it, it's your own fault if you have problems.

> I still consider the *idea* of looking at best practises very valid
and very good, but not how HC implements it, and not what I consider
IBMs closedmindedness about the product and its checks.

> My 2 cents, and I'll stop now.

We are installing 1.8 now and I will have a look at HC, but with
reserve.

Regards,
Kees.

> Regards, Barbara
> --
http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee
only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part
of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or
distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or
attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have
received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart
Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall
not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this
e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in
receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal
Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with
registered number 33014286