John

Very often I reply in this list with "Google is your friend" - and indeed it is in this case. "CNZ0005I" gives three hits identifying APAR OA10632: NEW FUNCTION - COMPATIBILITY but, more importantly and precisely, OA17099: CNZ0005I MONITOR REJECTED. REASON=CONSOLE ID ZERO NOT SUPPORTED IS RECEIVED IF COM='MN JOBNAMES,T' IS SPECIFIED IN COMMNDXX. For your convenience, I repeat the relevant text below[1]:

<quote>

Error description
This APAR will clarify z/OS V1R8 migration actions pertaining to changed COMMNDxx processing.

Additional Keywords:
IEF403I msgIEF403I MSGIEF403I msgCNZ0005I MSGCNZ0005I

Problem summary

USERS AFFECTED: All environments migrating to z/OS 1.8 (HBB7730).

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: Unclear migration directives given for the elimination of the Master Console.

RECOMMENDATION: Review the accompanying documentation and take appropriate actions.

Unclear migration directives given for the elimination of the Master Console.

Problem conclusion

The following clarifications will be made in the z/OS V1R8 Migration manual (GA22-7499).

Chapter 5.  BCP migration actions

5.2.4. Accommodate the removal of the master console

- Examine your automation procedures for commands, functions, and messages that no longer exist, and make appropriate changes. For example, with the master console eliminated, there is no longer a console with which to associate the MONITOR command, so a MONITOR command lacking a target console name and issued from a COMMNDxx Parmlib member results in message CNZ0005I MONITOR REJECTED. REASON=CONSOLE ID ZERO NOT SUPPORTED. SETCON MONITOR can be used in COMMNDxx to replace the MONITOR function.
Also, determine if any new messages warrant automation.

</quote>

Additionally, if you had used the excellent facility IBM provides for "looking up" any message, namely "LookAt!" at

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/bkserv/lookat/

taking care, of course, to specify the correct release, you would at least have discovered the explanation for the message.

Probably you should hold off your "quantum leap" for a while until you have perused the manual mentioned in the APAR text, z/OS V1R8 Migration manual (GA22-7499) - and maybe half a dozen others.

So now you know that the way to solve a problem like this is to use Google - or equivalent - which I know you knew already - or "LookAt!" - which you may not have known about.

As to precisely what you do about those errant MONITOR commands in your COMMNDxx member - because that, answering your question, is what would appear to be causing the messages - I'll have to leave to others, among whom I do *not* number, who actually know what this topic is really all about. I know only from following this list that something drastic seems to have happened to console support in the gap covered by your "quantum leap".

Chris Mason

[1] Care of my "spelling checker", I even managed to make two corrections to the APAR text. Perhaps APAR writers could be encouraged to do the same before "publishing" - alongside other checks I have mentioned in the past.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Mattson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>