Rob,

>When I was a sysprog, this check would have been invaluable on many >occasions
>- (production ASIDs falling over on Monday at 11am because >someone changed
>the LPA list at the weekend and squeezed PVT).

I am NOT saying that this check is bad. As long as all else is equal! It can
well be a godsend when some sort of ptf pushes PLPA that then pushes CSA that
then makes PVT smaller. (Note that I am talking about below-the-line, where
region size is really a concern.)

In my case EPVT was expected to get smaller! The reason it tripped was simply
that at the last IPL ESQA was not big enough (second check in the subject line
tripped), and the ESQA setting had been changed for this IPL to correct this.
Of course EPVT gets smaller when ESQA gets bigger! And this is an *expected*
thing.

I should not have to change the setting for this check in addition to changing
the ESQA parm in parmlib just so it doesn't report an *exception* when there
really isn't an exeption but something that follows logically. And then for the
next IPL change the settings back to normal.

And given that the previous IPL values are reported/remembered across IPLs,
this is something that should not generate a CC8, in my opinion, because it is
*expected*. Hence cc4 at the most.

You can override the severity of the check, IIRC. But for this
one-time-expected change I should not be required to override a lot of checks.

This is what I really bugs me: I get one thing (finally - took me 4 years!)
fixed, and then another pops up as an exception that isn't really an exception.
Given the amount of 'false hits' in HC it gets harder and harder to get the
powers that be to follow the recommendations! Their attitude is "well, we don't
need to pay any attention to the thing anyway, as there is always something
that it feels isn't right, so why bother spending time looking at it?" - that
attitude gives HC the really bad rep, even for the *good* things!

Regards, Barbara