Several years a company I worked at saw their e-mail system get hit with a
similar (non-)attack.  An executive went on vacation and set the
"out-of-office" reply to respond to "reply-all".  Couple that with a few
more people out of the office, and it did not take long to bring the
company's network to a complete standstill.  Took the e-mail admins most of
the day to purge inboxes and disable e-mail accounts.  Then got the CIO to
send a memo about how to use out of office e-mail functions.