Peter,

Sorry for my re-visit to this thread cause today I read something about
FIXED and DREF virtual storage area and feel that something should be added.

For FIXED area, it's no longer true: when you GETMAIN, all pages will be
backed up by real frames because FIXED area is supposed to serve disabled
user.

And in my opinion, that's why DREF is superior to FIXED: it's backed up by
real frames only when you access it for the first time (like pageable area).
And MVS has special facility to make it suitable for disabled user.

Of course like FIXED area, after first reference DREF pages will be fixed
there unless released or swapped out (for private area).

I know the above is not true if you have expanded storage installed: these
DREF pages can be copied to expanded storage. But, does z/os still use
expanded storage? I think no.

--
Best Regards,
Johnny Luo