Two things....

Caution about any case resting on saving CPU by eliminating I/O. Back in
the late 1980s a series of IBM studies showed highly variable results in
this area. Though the technology has (at least in part) rolled a number of
times I'd still take home the same lesson.
In z/OS R.8 the cost of memory management got improved because of the RSM
rewrite. I'd hazard that any management cost scaled better with memory
size... As that was the whole point of the rewrite.

Oh, alright then, three things... :-)

Caution should be applied on DB2 Virtual Storage when scaling the buffer
pools up - if you're on DB2 Version 7.

Martin

Martin Packer
Performance Consultant