We use a "home-grown" exit that examines DISPLAY and VARY commands,
requiring device addresses to be entered as 4-digit numbers and limiting
ranges to 32 devices, and suppresses the command along with a console
message if the operator "muffs" it.  I'll seek permission to send you a
copy off-list, if you wish.

    -jc-