On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:58:23 -0700, George Fogg wrote:

>> I worked with a shop some years ago that had a similar requirement. For a
>> certain class of user, management wanted this:
>>
>> 1. LOGON
>> 2. Be placed immediately into ISPF
>> 3. Exit ISPF
>> 4. LOGOFF
>>
>> In other words, these users were not allowed to sit at Ready. Don't
>> remember why. Doesn't matter.
>>
>> There turned out to be a simple solution. The 'moment' the user gets logged
>> on and enters ISPF, issue this MVS command:   P userid  . It's not
>> documented well (or maybe at all), but a TSO user in the 'stopping state'
>> (my term), can continue the 'current operation' but will be logged off at
>> the conclusion of that operation. ISPF is treated as one long continuous
>> operation. The moment you exit ISPF, you are logged off.
>
>Skip:
>Seems to work OK.
>Now you need a bulletproof solution to force those users to be placed in ISPF
>at logon and find a way to issue the "P userid" command. I think it can be
>done in RACF's post-processing exit.

George,

That might be too early - under some odd timing conditions you might succeed
(FSVO 'succeed')  in logoff prior to ISPF (which would frustrate the end users
and waste the company's resources... who's the bad guy then?)

I would suggest pushing out an operator message in an ISPF initialization exit
and letting automated operations issue the STOP command.  That way you
know the user was safely tucked into ISPF.

I would also suggest that it should be mandatory that this 'feature' be
verified
& documented as an intended interface by IBM before using it.  (I've used it in
the dim past for a few things but none were particularly long-term.  It worked
for me, for example, when running a CLIST in a started task doing TSO
RECEIVE (as in XMIT/RECEIVE) processing many years ago.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI