On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:20:10 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:

>I do not know if IBM still sells it but at one time there was a
>product called PCF. It was cheap IIRC and it worked quite well. I was
>responsible for it for over 20 years and I never had an issue with
>it. Just to give you an idea there is a table which has all TSO
>commands in it and a "level" that you must have before the command
>will be executed. The level is kept in UADS (or RACF IIRC). There is
>also a table that restricts where a user can allocate new datasets. a
>lot of the function of it has been doled out to other products (SMS
>RACF etc) but I believe this product is a lot easier to implement and
>you don't have to fool around with RACF to get a clean yes/no answer
>to the question "am I allowed to do this command".
>
>BTW PCF = Program Control Facility

PCF was a joke as far as 'TSO security' was concerned.

As long as you understood how TSO's command processors work and a quick
understanding of PCF's working storage it can be a matter of minutes before
you can build a working prototype to bypass PCF.  (At least it was for me
about 20 years ago.)  I would not recommend it on that basis.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI