From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Howard Brazee
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS 1.9 Features summary

On 30 Oct 2007 08:47:17 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (GAVIN Darren
* OPS EAS) wrote:

>Actually that can be done already, on FB files one can read in the
>entire block into a program, by using the block size as the record
>length.  However Cobol LE forces DCB matching, so not sure how that
gets
>turned off to allow for it.
>
>As to the BLKSIZE and LRECL parameters being archaic, they really are
>not obsolete.

I love "BLOCK CONTAINS 0" as an attempt to solve this problem.

>They are there for efficiency reasons.

This kind of efficiency should not be in programs nor even jobs
anymore.    Switching a file from one disk to another with a different
format should not require any JCL change as the OS picked the best
blocksize at the new location.