<snip>

> Indeed, but too little too late.  The OS (not utilities) simply
> should _never_ change the attributes of an existing nonempty
> data set.  (Possible exceptions: increasing BLKSIZE, and for
> RECFM=V increasing LRECL.)  If need be, the programmer can
> allocate a new data set and copy.  The only time I've used the
> facility is to recover the mess when someone has misused it.
> And then I generally wind up with a PDS containing one member
> with RECFM=F among others with RECFM=V.  The OS (not whatever
> utility) should prevented that happening.
>
> -- gil

I'll go futher than that. The entire concept of LRECL, BLKSIZE, and
RECFM is archaic and should be eliminated. If a program wants to read a
dataset, let it specify what it thinks the LRECL and RECFM should be. If
the system can accomodate that, then so be it - let the system (access
method) read the physical data and present it in the format that the
program wants. The only cavaet is if there is a record which cannot be
processed properly if "reformatted" into the LRECL that the program says
that it can accept.

As an example, suppose I write a program which expects LRECL=80,
RECFM=F. If the actual file only has records which are 80 bytes long or
less, then the access method should just "pad out" the record in my
buffer using some pad character. The pad character could be specified by
the program, or have a specified system default (such as blank or
x'00'). If my program expects RECFM=V and the file is RECFM=F, then give
the program the entire 80 byte record from the file with an appropriate
LLBB file prepended.

I have never truly understood RECFM=U. Why is that superior to RECFM=V
with an appropriate LLBB?

Have I been doing too much UNIX/Linux work lately and been corrupted?

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.