Howard Brazee wrote:
On 31 Oct 2007 06:22:46 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

Actually, in COBOL, you had to specify BLOCK CONTAINS ZERO. Otherwise you got unblocked.

I've never tried unblocked.  I really don't know what happens in that
case.

BLOCK CONTAINS ZERO is what I use, even though it semantically makes
no sense.

If you omit the BLOCK CONTAINS clause, the default is
BLOCK CONTAINS 1 RECORDS. (talk about not making semantic
sense).

A few years ago, changes were made so that for an existing
file OPEN will have the blocksize in the data set label
override the block contains value in the program, even if
the block contains is not zero. (For COBOL only, near as
I can tell.)

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques