On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 08:26:12 -0600, McKown, John
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Perhaps I should have said something more along the lines of "If I want
>to exploit a zAAP processor with my own code, that code must be written
>in Java." Perhaps also with a note that my code might run IBM (or other
>vendor?) supplied code which might run on a zAAP (like XML is going to).
>But there is no way for be to LEGALLY get my COBOL code to run on a
>zAAP.

Well I'm not so sure... What if your COBOL compiler were to compile into JVM
bytecodes? I seem to remember at least one commercial product out there that
does just that, and there are lots of experimental efforts to compile
various languages for the JVM. Or what if your COBOL compiler were to
compile into Java source code, which was then turned into bytecodes (maybe
even by IBM's Java compiler)?

Of course there are potential functional and performance problems with this
approach, but there may well be financial incentive to do it if the zAAP
price is kept artificially low (or if you prefer, the general CP price is
kept artificially high).

Tony H.