In a message dated 11/8/2007 6:21:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>In the MVS world, if a Problem State program attempts to modify  00000xxx
(where x is 0-512 decimal and regardless of the content of the  current
base register) and LAP is on... So it is not truly available (except  to
the SCP).

I know what you meant, but what you wrote is not technically  correct.  A
problem state program can modify bytes 0-511 of PSA if it  alters control
register 0 and sets protect key 0 (while in supervisor state),  then sets
itself to
problem state, and then alters that area.  Problem  state has nothing to do
with the various protection mechanisms in the processor  architecture when a
single instruction's behavior is under consideration.   Obviously, if you are
in
problem state you can't alter CR 0 or set protect key  0, as doing that
requires privileged instructions.  If you are APF  authorized, you can put
yourself
in supervisor state and then make those  changes.  But that is a series of
instructions, not the one instruction  involved in "if a Problem State program
attempts to modify...".  Also the  SCP does not have a monopoly on the STCTL
instruction.  Any authorized  program can do it.  The wisdom of and necessity
for
doing it is another  matter.

>Otherwise, as I recall [MVS environments], that page is  Key0
non-fetch protected.

Not true any more.  The upper half of virtual page 0 (aka PSA) is  fetch
protected by yet another different, independent protection  mechanism.  This is
so
that non-key 0 programs cannot look at the upper  half of page 0, in which
many register save areas are defined in the z/OS PSA  DSECT.  There might be
clear text, passwords, or who knows what in a  register that would be visible
an unauthorized program if such save areas  were not fetch-protected somehow.
The lower half of page 0 is in key 0 and  not fetch protected.

Bill  Fairchild
Franklin, TN