IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 11/08/2007
06:23:58 PM:

>  No, there is no such 24 bit virtual address.  With only 4,096 pages
> that are 24-bit addressable, I guess we didn't want to dedicate one of
> them for that purpose.
> <SNIP>
>
> Actually, yes. It is address x'000000' and was called PSA (but is
> actually absolute page 0). And as I recall, it is always reserved when
> you have more than 1 possible CPU on a machine.

 Actually, no.  We are talking about virtual addressability, and
x'000000' is certainly addressable as a 24-bit virtual address in
every address space, and addresses the PSA for the processor on which
the code is executing.

  Furthermore, absolute frame 0 is also addressable by using
the SQA virtual address of the PSA for the processor on which
the code is executing.  This will reverse prefix to absolute 0.
As of z/OS 1.5, if there was more than one CPU available at IPL
time, the SQA virtual address of the a PSA will be a 31-bit ESQA
address.  Otherwise, it will be a 24-bit SQA address.

  As of MVS/XA, we always use a non-zero prefix for each online
CPU, so practically speaking, MVS does not use frame absolute 0
for anything other than IPL processing and SADMP processing
(SADMP only uses one CPU and uses a prefix of zero).

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY