On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:10:31 -0600 Mohammad Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>Interesting evolution of 24 - 31 - 64 bit addressing :
:>  - 16MB is a real euclidian "line" i.e. zero thickness.
:>  - 2GB "line" has a thickness of 4KB
:>  - Now the bar is 2GB wide.

:>As for the need of a "guaranteed bad address", is it something similar to a
:>NULL pointer in C ? If I recall correctly, C implemets NULL pointers as X'0'
:>which off course would run into issues with PSA access here. By the way how
:>was this need satisfied in 24 bit days ? Or was it that the need hadn't
arisen
:>yet ?

It is a need for a pointer with a "bad" value, one that guarantees a failure
if not checked for validity. It is a safety net.

0 or X'80000000' in 24/31 bit mode does not do the job, since location 0 can
be freely fetched.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com