Hmmm.....  A nanosecond is one billionth of a second, so the "long" rope
would have to be a billion times longer that the "short" one.  Given
that the SI definition of a metre is  approximately one ten-millionth
the distance from a pole to the equator along a meridian, if the "short"
rope was only one millimetre long, the "long" one would have to be a
thousand kilometres long.  That would make a pretty big "pile" of

    -jc-