On 9 Nov 2007 08:38:45 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chase, John) wrote:

>> I can't remember the whole thing, but I believe that Grace
>> Hopper used to use different rope lengths to show how long,
>> or short various measurements of time were: a nano second vs.
>> a full second.

I used to have one of her nanoseconds (it was an electrical wire, and
while I may still have it, it's not particularly noticeable).

>Hmmm.....  A nanosecond is one billionth of a second, so the "long" rope
>would have to be a billion times longer that the "short" one.  Given
>that the SI definition of a metre is  approximately one ten-millionth
>the distance from a pole to the equator along a meridian, if the "short"
>rope was only one millimetre long, the "long" one would have to be a
>thousand kilometres long.  That would make a pretty big "pile" of

But it is relevant in this thread to note that there can be
considerable overhead in the process of tying various nanosecond ropes
together.    An instruction that's twice as slow as another
instruction is only twice as slow if we don't count the time taken to
load that instruction.