You missed the real cause of my jubilation - that I got the capitalization
right almost 2 1/4
years ago.

The IT Jungle story still doesn't manage it.

But an invitation IBM recently sent to analysts says "... the eClipz processor
..."

YES!!!

You wouldn't believe how much time was spent on that.  You sometimes have to
wring clues out
of the thinnest information, and the capitalization of a mnemonic can be a
major clue to the
importance of its components.

The IT Jungle piece seems to be a combination of four sources, three of which
were reasonable.
One was mine, and one was one derived from mine.  It's a bit like analysing a
commentary on
the synoptic Gospels.  He's not quite right on many details, but the crucial
one is the
discrepancy between the z9 ---> z6 native cycle time improvement and the
delivered grunt of
around +50%.  That means this machine works differently.  Not worse, not better
- differently.

And I don't think he understands decimal arithmetic.  "Money math".  The
greatest strength of
System/360 even at launch - how does he think it got where it got?  ZAP was and
is a wonderful
instruction, if you were used to what went before.

The piece is overcrowded with numbers.  Speeds and feeds.  What matters is what
comes out the
back - I've long since stopped caring how it's done.  I lack the qualifications
to judge
design decisions like cache sizes - if you see the guys that make these
decisions working, you
leave the room with your head spinning.  Serious, serious math.

Sometimes it gets funny.  1,199 signal pins and a total of 8,765 pins.  So what
do the other
7,566 pins do?  Knit?

As I've said here before, I believe it would be a good idea to prepare for some
turbulence -
similar to but greater in magnitude than the issues we got with the 128 byte
cache lines.

I'm really not that happy with the implied reduction in SMP factors.  I've
heard the opposite
in some rumours.

As I've also said, I do not doubt for one second that IBM will meet the overall
box
performance target.  But I think it would be very prudent to ensure that you
can support
performance measurements at fine granularity - transaction level, subroutine
level - very
rapidly if asked to do so.  Who markets Strobe these days?  Stick a few bucks
in the stock.
Again, it's the old law that the grumblings of one unhappy user can drown the
cheers of 99
happy ones - except this time I'd expect two unhappy users.

I don't buy the "z9 sales affected by z6 leaks" angle.  In the first place,
there have been no
substantive leaks.  And in the second, the z9 is very much a known quantity and
the safe bet.
I would not be at all surprised to see z9 sales pick up slightly in 2008Q1.

Anyway, next week Charles Webb is going to read his PDF to those analysts too
stupid to have
found it for themselves.  Which is quite a few.  I won't be taking part - the
bit I miss most
is the Q&A at the end where each analyst spends the first 75% of their allotted
question time
gushing to the executives.

"I mean. wow, I'd just like to say how wonderful this is for our customers ..."

Get OUTAH HERE, you moron! Anyone with a brain has known this stuff for two
years!

You frankly wouldn't believe it.  "Hi, I'm so-and-so from household-name."  And
then the
dumbest question you've ever heard.  I'm sometimes amazed that you can't hear
the executives
smirking when they answer.  On at least one occasion a few years back a
question was asked
directly of an executive - there was a slightly muffled noise and the
facilitator came back
with: "Well, I'll ask xyz to answer that one instead."  I strongly suspect the
original target
was rolling on the floor with several colleagues sitting on him, trying to
stifle his
paroxisms of laughter.

--
  Phil Payne