>>> On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at  4:46 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
-snkp-
> It wasn't the zNextGen Project itself to which I referred.  The
> session I had in mind was run by the Academic Initiative IBMers, and
> NIU faculty were, in fact, turned away by the session chair (an
> IBMer).  His quite reasonable explanation was that the session
> already had four panelists and there was no time for another to
> participate.  But he has long known of NIU's program, and still no
> NIU faculty were invited.  That was my point.

Ok, that makes much more sense to me.

>>Your note only talked about an MP3K at NIU.  Does NIU currently have
>>a z/Architecture machine?
>
> No, and it likely never will, as the last NIU mainframe will probably
> be gone in a couple of years.  In fact, my new job is my first
> opportunity to write code for z/Architecture, and especially z/OS.

Ok, so ISU's statement isn't total balderdash, since they are the only Illinois
public university with a z/Architecture machine, just very, very  galling.  :(

-snip-
> I certainly agree wholeheartedly with your last statement.  Whether
> z/OS is a short step away from Linux and z/VM can be debated, but the
> real issue for most of the companies which hire NIU CS graduates is
> their need for skilled employees who understand what I call
> 'large-scale enterprise computing' .  That's the kind of graduate the
> NIU CS program has long been producing, and NIU CS believes that z/OS
> and its predecessors are the environment in which that is best learned.

UMR saw a fair number of companies hiring graduates for similar reasons.  I
would like to think, though, that someone getting exposed to z/OS, z/VM, and
Linux, all on the mainframe, as well as Linux on Intel/AMD, Solaris, etc., and
the business reasons why one would use each one, would be much better
acculturated to the idea of "best tool for the job."  One of the biggest faults
I see with most IT people is "my favorite platform is the best choice for _any_
use."  If we could eliminate that attitude, the whole industry would be much
better served.

Mark Post